Magikarp Community Day is here!
August has here, and one of the first August activities for Pokemon Go gamers to look forward to is August’s Community Day. This month’s event begins today, August 8, and as usual, it allows players worldwide to capture a Shiny Pokemon, learn an event-exclusive move, and more. To help you get ready, we’ve compiled a list of everything you need to know about August’s Community Day.
August’s Featured Pokemon: Magikarp
The featured Pokemon this month is a surprise choice: Magikarp, the infamously worthless fish Pokemon. Throughout August’s Community Day, Magikarp will occur in the wild far more often than usual, and you’ll have a better chance of encountering a Shiny Magikarp.
Although Magikarp isn’t especially spectacular, Community Day in August is a fantastic time to stock up on Magikarp Candy. If you want a Gyarados, you’ll need a lot of them, since it takes 400 Magikarp Candy to develop the Pokemon, so take advantage of the increased Magikarp spawns while you can.
August’s Community Day Move: Aqua Tail
If you gather enough Candy to develop Magikarp into Gyarados, it will learn the Community Day unique move Aqua Tail. Gyarados can’t ordinarily learn this attack in Pokemon Go, so this is your only opportunity.
What is virtually worthless in terms of both power and speed? It’s Magikarp, the featured Pokémon for August #PokemonGOCommunityDay! 🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊 https://t.co/d9NW6x5gaF pic.twitter.com/e6vNF4yzTl
— Pokémon GO (@PokemonGoApp) July 28, 2020
To teach your Gyarados Aqua Tail, you must develop Magikarp up to two hours after the Community Day finishes. Even if you caught them before the event, every Magikarp you develop during this time period will recognize Aqua Tail when they morph into Gyarados.
August Community Day Hours
As with previous Community Days, August’s event will last six hours rather than three, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time. This means you’ll have till 7 p.m. local time to develop Magikarp and earn an Aqua Tail-knowing Gyarados.
Community Day Special Research
Niantic will give an event-exclusive Special Research tale called “Making a Splash” on August’s Community Day. To access it, you must first buy a $1 USD ticket from Pokemon Go’s in-game store. There will also be Field Research projects that are only available during the event. These will be accessible to all players and will provide you more Magikarp Candy, allowing you to store up on enough to get Gyarados.
Niantic will provide a variety of extra incentives in addition to enhanced Magikarp spawning during August’s Community Day. This time, capturing Pokemon will reward you quadruple the regular amount of Stardust. Furthermore, any Incense you use during the event will last three hours rather than the customary 30 minutes. Finally, Niantic will offer a Community Day package that includes the following items:
- 30 Ultra Balls
- 1 Elite Charged TM
- 6 Star Pieces
- 1 Incense
Gastly was featured in Pokemon GO’s July Community Day after the Pokemon was selected as one of the most popular in a recent community survey.
It seems that the featured Pokemon for August is, in fact, Magikarp!
Here’s all we know so far regarding Pokemon GO’s August Community Day.
August Community Day 2020 Dates And Times
The August community day event will take place on the 8th of August, from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm local time.
August Community Day 2020 Features And Content
- Magikarp will be appearing more frequently in the wild. If you’re lucky, you may encounter a Shiny version.
- Evolve Magikarp into Gyarados during the event or up to two hours afterwards to get a Pokemon that knows Aqua Tail.
- Take a few snapshots during Community Day for a surprise!
- There’ll likely be a special one-time-purchase August Community Day Box.
- For US$1 (or the equivalent pricing tier in your local currency), you’ll be able to access the Community Day–exclusive Special Research story.
The ‘Making A Splash’ Special Research story is now available in the shop for £0.79!
SPLASH: It’s super effective
August Community Day Bonuses
- 3 x Catch XP
- Incense activated during the event will last for three hours
- Buddy Pokemon with a Buddy level of “Great Buddy” or higher will bring you helpful items, such as Poke Balls, through the event.
- Eggs will require 1/4 Hatch Distance when placed in Incubators during the event period.
Pokemon Spotlight Hours
- Tuesday, August 4, 2020: Horsea will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Candy for catching Pokémon.
- Tuesday, August 11, 2020: Sableye will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Candy for transferring Pokémon.
- Tuesday, August 18, 2020: Venipede will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the XP for evolving Pokémon.
- Tuesday, August 25, 2020: Geodude will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Stardust for catching Pokémon.
August Breakthrough Encounter
From Saturday, August 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Tuesday, September 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7), Scraggy, the Shedding Pokémon, will be available as a Research Breakthrough encounter.